The nurses role is to maintain a healthy school environment and to promote wellness. The nurse provides skilled nursing care and manages the special medical needs of our student in a nurturing environment.
The primary role of the school nurse is to support student learning and support in maintaining a safe school for all. The nurse accomplishes this by implementing strategies that promote student and staff health and safety. The nurse takes a leadership role in serving as the coordinator of all school health programs:
- Health Services -- serves as the coordinator of the health services program and provides nursing care
- Health Education -- provides health education to students, staff and parents
- Healthy Environment -- identifies health and safety concerns in the school environment and promotes a nurturing social environment
- Nutritional Services -- supports healthy food services programs. The nursing department recently partnered with the University of Massachusetts extensions nutrition program, which provided our student one 45-minute session for six weeks of age approach nutrition education.
- Physical Education/Activity -- promotes healthy physical education, sports policies and practices
- Counseling -- provides health counseling, assesses mental health needs, provides interventions and refers students to appropriate school staff or community agencies which includes our on site clinician from the home for little wanderers.
- Parent/Community Involvement -- promotes community involvement in assuring a healthy school.