EARLY EDUCATION AND CARE (EEC) VOUCHERS:
Saint John Paul II Catholic Academy accepts Massachusetts Early Education and Care vouchers for both school tuition (2.9, Pre-K, K1 and K2) and Extended Day programs. For information purposes, the following are some guidelines for voucher application, parent fee parameters, addresses, phone numbers, etc.
The purpose of the voucher system is to assist lower income families with children, where the parent(s) are working, in a school or training facility or the wage earner is recently unemployed. There are two general types of vouchers – Full and Half. Full vouchers assist in paying for care for up to 10 hours normally for children up to age 6 or K2 grade. Half vouchers are used for Extended Day programs, February and June Vacation and Summer Program for students older than 5 years and assist the working families in meeting their child care needs.
In order to receive a Massachusetts EEC voucher, an appointment should be made with the local child care services office – for example Child Care Choices of Boston, Suffolk and Middlesex Counties, or Community Care for Kids – Norfolk County. Please let the interviewer at the services office know which campus of SJPIICA you want the child to receive child care services. The child care services office will check – via fax or telephone with the SJPIICA Business Office to determine start dates, etc. As a reminder, the family may be responsible to pay a certain parent fee to SJPIICA in order to receive the voucher. If this is the case and the family does not pay the amount on a weekly basis, the voucher will be lost. When in doubt, check with us or the service office.
While the process seems complex, it is really quite easy and all of the parent counselors are extremely helpful. If the family has any questions about using the voucher for Tuition (for 2.9, Pre-K, K1 and K2) and/or Extended Day please call us at 617.265.0019 ext. 7005.
Please contact the offices below if you have questions or need to apply for an EEC voucher.
Child Care Choices of Boston
105 Chauncy Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Tel: 617-542-KIDS (5437), Fax: 617-292-4629
Cities/Towns Served: Boston, Chelsea, Winthrop, Revere and Brookline
Community Care for Kids
1509 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: (617) 471-6473; (800) 637-2011, Fax: (617) 773-5860
Cities/Towns Served: Braintree, Cohasset, Dedham, Hull, Milton, Needham, Quincy, Randolph, Wellesley, Weston, and Weymouth.
PACE Child Care Works
105 William Street – 4th Floor
New Bedford MA 02740
Tel: 508-999-9930, Fax: 508-984-3559
Cities/Towns Served: Brockton, see full list at http://paceccw.org/about/locations/
Child Care Circuit
190 Hampshire Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
Tel: 800-660-2868, Fax: 978-975-3120
Cities/Towns Served: Malden, Medford, Everett, see full list at http://www.childcarecircuit.org/professionals/links.html
Full and Half Voucher Policies:
- Full time vouchers cover 10 hours of care from 6:30 am to 6 pm including the Extended Day program. Half time vouchers cover Before school, Afterschool or both.
- If your child is absent you must notify both your campus main office and the Business Office in writing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off a letter at 2200 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester, MA.
- You are responsible for contacting the parent counselor at the agency that issues the voucher to schedule an appointment at least 2 weeks prior to the expiration date to renew it. A copy of the renewed voucher must be sent to the Business Office and you must check in to make sure that it was received by our staff.
- In the case the full or half voucher is not renewed, you will be charged the regular tuition cost and/or Extended Day hourly fees for the Academy. If the full voucher expires mid-month, the tuition cost will be prorated, and the daily rate will be calculated as follows: the monthly tuition based on the number of days the Academy offers child care during the month multiplied by how many days the voucher is not active: $586 per month/16 days in September= $36.63 daily tuition rate, the voucher was expired since September 15 or 11 days, the tuition cost for the period will be $36.63 x 11 = $402.93. Also, once the voucher expires the tuition cost will only cover the following times 7:30 am to 2:30 pm, or the school day. The Extended Day program will be an hourly additional fee.
- An active full voucher will also cover child care during February Vacation and June once school ends, as well as the summer program for students age 5 and up. The programs will run at the Lower Mills Campus at 2222 Dorchester Avenue, Dorchester MA 02124. You must complete a separate application for the program and it will be available during the months of January and May. The program details will be announced at that time. Half voucher families should contact the parent counselor and request a full voucher for the vacation weeks.
- If your child transfers to another campus or you want to use the vacation programs, you must notify your parent counselor and have them issue a new voucher for that particular site and bring in a copy to the Business Office. Please schedule your appointment with the agency at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the program or effective date of the change. The addresses are below:
- Columbia Campus, 790 Columbia Rd, Dorchester, MA 02125
- Lower Mills Campus, 2222 Dorchester Avenue, Dorchester, MA 02124
- Mattapan Campus, 120 Babson St, Mattapan, MA 02126
- Neponset Campus, 239 Neponset Ave, Dorchester, MA 02122
- February Vacation, June Vacation and Summer Program, 2222 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester, MA 02124
- You must submit an application for the Extended Day program and keep it updated at all times.
- A referral from the Department of Transitional Assistance (local welfare office) for a voucher is not a voucher.
- If your child is absent for 3 or more days and you have not sent in written notification to the Business Office as well as the campus main office, a request of termination of the voucher will be sent to your agency.
- A valid voucher must be signed by both the parent counselor of the agency and the parent. If both signatures are not present, it will not be accepted by the Academy and tuition rates will apply.
- You are still responsible for parent fees if your child is absent through the contractual agreement with the agency that has issued the voucher. You will be billed your parent fee, unless you are taking vacation and have given the Academy 2 weeks’ notice.
- Half vouchers or vouchers that are for part time care for Before School (6:30 am to 7:30 am) and/or After School (2:30 pm to 6 pm) are also accepted at the Academy. Students with half vouchers are eligible to participate in all Extended Day activities at no additional cost except for the voucher parent fee and the cost of a music instrument.
Collection of Payments:
- Schedule of payment: Payments for full vouchers must be made by automatic withdrawal through the FACTS Payment Plan on a weekly basis. No cash or checks will be accepted at the campus or the Business Office.
- Half voucher payments: Must be made on a weekly basis to the campus Extended Day Site Coordinator that processes bills on a weekly basis. Payments can be made in cash or money orders.
- Initial deposit payment: An initial deposit, equal to the amount of the weekly parent co-payment, is required at the time of enrollment. For parents who receive a combination of full and part time subsidy, the initial deposit is based on their full-time parent co-payment.
- Parent co-payment for child absences: Parents must pay the appropriate co-payment, for everyday that care is available, for all excused and unexcused absences for both full and half vouchers.
- Parent fees for approved closures: Parents must pay the appropriate co-payment for every approved day the program is closed, in accordance with the schedule approved by EEC on an annual basis. The schedule of closed days will be available in June on the school calendar.
- Parent fees for Emergency Closures: Emergency closures constitute snow closures and will be billed the daily rate of the co-payment. There will be no snow days’ credits posted to your account.
Payments must be made on a weekly basis. Any payments that are 30 days or more behind will result in a 2 weeks’ notice of termination for non-payment of the parent co-payment. If there are extenuating financial circumstances, you must inform the Business Office staff along with the parent counselor at the agency that provided the voucher. In some cases, when documentation of financial hardship is provided, the Business Office and Campus Principal will grant the parent an extension to pay the past due balance only. In these cases, the parent counselor at the agency that distributed the voucher should also be contacted.
- The Academy will not charge families with active full or half vouchers any additional fees for programming except for cost of musical instruments in the Extended Day Music Program.
- If you notice any additional charges on your account for Extended Day, you must contact the Extended Day Site Coordinator to receive clarification on the fee.
- Late pick up fees will be charged for pick up after 6 pm. Please refer to the Extended Day program policy. PLEASE CALL THE SCHOOL TO LET THEM KNOW YOU WILL BE LATE IN PICKING UP THE CHILD. ALL TIMES ARE DETERMINED BY THE SCHOOL’S CLOCK.
- There is a returned (bounced) payment fee of $30 per check presented and returned by the bank.
The Department of EEC Subsidized Child Care Attendance Notification Agreement:
All children who receive EEC child care subsidies are expected to attend the early education and care program, in accordance with the terms of the child care authorization. Child care educators/providers are required to make every effort to ensure that each child care slot is filled or each voucher is used at all times.
Excessive absences may result in the termination of your child care subsidy. The Massachusetts subsidized child care regulations and policies define excessive absences as:
- More than 30 absence days in a 6 month period (i.e. January to June, July to December). For families who are not authorized at the start of a 6 month period, allowable absence days will be pro-rated at 5 days per month.
- More than 3 consecutive unexplained absence days (Explained absences are children’s absences due to child illness or medical condition, death in the family, emergency circumstances, religious holidays, and up to 10 vacation days in a 12 month period. All other absences are considered unexplained.)
Families experiencing excessive absences will be issued a Notice of Termination. Your child care services will end on the date listed on the Notice, unless you contact the child care agency before the end date to either: (1) explain your child’s absence; or (2) request a Review of the termination decision. To ensure that you do not lose your child care subsidy for excessive absences, you must:
- Ensure that your child(ren) attend(s) the early education and care program, in accordance with the terms of your child care authorization;
- Immediately notify your child care program to explain your child(ren)’s absence; and
- Provide at least 2 weeks advance notice if you plan to remove your child (ren) from the child care program.